Tahini is the product from the grinding of sesame seeds. It is a nourishment rich in calories due to, in the majority, good fats (80%), as well as carbohydrates. Furthermore, it contains moderate amounts of protein and is a good source of calcium and iron. Its composition includes plenty of minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium as well as many of the B vitamins, folic acid and Vitamin E.
Thanks to all those valuable ingredients, tahini:
- protects the body from oxidizing agents, which are responsible for health problems, such as: cardiovascular disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer
- prevents the formation of free radicals, which are responsible for the premature aging of human cells
- contributes to the prevention of the formation of atherosclerotic plaque on the walls of arteries
- lowers the levels of bad cholesterol in the blood
- helps the regulation of blood pressure
- does not raise blood glucose quickly due to low glycemic index (slow absorption of carbohydrates), which is necessary for the diabetics’ diet
Tahini is rich in calories (90Kcal / 10g)! That’s why it is advised to be consumed in small quantities by people who want to regulate their weight.